InsideHTTP

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Readers!

Wow, apparently some folks do read this after all. :-) I haven't figured out how to tell from the Blogger site, and there were so few comments...

Anyway, Splintor asked:

A cool thing would be a public wishlist, when we can see what you plan to add to the product, and suggest our own idea for improvements.

Another neat thing would be a public repository for Fiddler Inspectors.


Please file all feature requests in the "Feature Requests" forum at the top of http://www.fiddlertool.com/bbs/index.php.

Feel free to point to Inspectors in either the Feature Requests or Script Samples forums as well-- I only know of two or three inspectors that have been written, so I wasn't aware that these had any level of public support yet.

I'll try to put together a "What I'm planning" post in the future, but for the moment, here's the known list:

1> HTTPS support. Everyone wants this.
2> More powerful HTTP response generation architecture, probably integrating Meddler (http://www.fiddlertool.com/meddler/)
3> Better modularization of code to enable Proxy engine to be repurposed
4> Release source on GotDotNet
5> Better script editor
6> Wizard for simple rule construction
7> Form/QueryString inspector
8> Generic Syntax-Highlighting text inspector (CSS, HTML, XML, JS, etc)
9> Non-ActiveX hex editor

(I should probably mention that I'm really busy shipping IE7 as well. :)

Thanks, all!

5 Comments:

  • Thanks for replying to my wishes.

    Can you estimate when QueryString inspector will be ready, so I'll not start working on it (not that I have time for this now...)?

    Also, you should "linkify" the Meddler URL.

    By Blogger splintor, at 10:56 PM  

  • I just want say a big THANK YOU for Fiddler. It has been extremelly useful to me.

    I also liked your "HTTP Performance" article, but I think that I've discovered a little IE bug related to its cache after trying to apply some of the article suggestions (on further inspection, the problem doesn't seem to be related at all to the cache headers).

    See www.panoramio.com/test/index2.html for a little test case.

    It seems that IE doesn't cache images that are dynamically generated with JScript.

    As it's not directly related to Fiddler, I don't know if you're ok with this kind of "IE bug reports". Do you know of any more suitable place to submit this kind of bugs reports?

    Cheers,

    By Blogger Joaquin Cuenca Abela, at 4:26 AM  

  • Yes, there is a bug here, but it's a bit more complicated.

    IE does cache images requested by JavaScript. ~However~, if you use JavaScript to add images to a page, IE will not serialize the requests, so if you request the same image multiple times before the first image is downloaded, you will see multiple requests.

    If you revisit the page, however, you will see no requests (assuming you set cache headers) because the image is pulled from the cache for both JScript requests.

    By Blogger Ericlaw, at 2:45 AM  

  • Eric,

    Thank you very much for you reply.

    It explains all the weird behaviour I was not quite perfectly understanding.

    I was able to code a work-around to this problem for my website, as this bug affects me particularly (sometimes more than 200 extra images were downloaded!).

    And again, thank you very much for Fiddler!

    Cheers,

    By Blogger Joaquin Cuenca Abela, at 9:01 AM  

  • Status update as of 12 May '07:

    #1: Supported in Fiddler2.
    #2: Partially supported. Meddler code can be integrated into script; autoresponder built.
    #3: In progress.
    #4: Not yet done.
    #5: Done with FSE/FSE2.
    #6: Not started.
    #7: Done in 1.2.3.1 FORMS inspector
    #8: Done with with SyntaxView inspector
    #9: Done in 1.2.3.1 HEX inspector

    By Blogger Ericlaw, at 11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home